Sending money to the wrong person on M-PESA can be frustrating. Fortunately, you can undo this mistake if you act in time, and once in a while—you can make it happen even if you realize it hours later.
All you’ll need is the transaction message. Here’s how to reverse an M-PESA transaction using various methods.
How To Reverse M-PESA Transactions via SMS
This is the simplest way to do it. All you got to do is follow these easy steps:
- Open the M-PESA transaction message in your messaging app.
- Long-press and Copy the transaction message.
- Create a new SMS message address to 456.
- Paste the transaction message that you copied and tap Send.
- You should receive a message from REVERSAL, acknowledging receiving your request and stating an update will be provided within 2 hours.
How To Reverse M-PESA Transactions Through Customer Care
If you realize you sent money to the wrong number or account several hours later, calling Safaricom Customer Care is the best way to retrieve your money. Follow these steps:
- Launch the Phone app on your phone and call 100.
- Follow the prompts and choose M-PESA reversal services.
- You might have to wait until a customer care agent is available to guide you through the reversal process.
- The customer care agent will also contact the person who received the money by mistake and prompt them to approve a reversal.
This process may take more than a day in many cases.
How to Cancel M-PESA Transaction Using Hakikisha
You can stop a transaction after you enter your PIN if you notice you’re sending money to the wrong number. This feature is called Hakikisha and it gives you up to 25 seconds to cancel a transaction while showing you the recipient’s name.
To cancel a transaction with Hakikisha—enter the number 2 and tap Send. The transaction will stop and your money will still be in your M-PESA.
Please note that you can cancel transactions a maximum of five times per day. Subsequent transactions won’t show you the recipient’s name until the next day. This limit is to prevent abuse of the feature to identify people’s names through their numbers.
Using MySafaricom and M-PESA Apps
If you have either of these two Safaricom apps installed, M-PESA reversals are the easiest to handle. First, making a mistake is difficult because you’ll see your receiver’s details before entering your M-PESA PIN.
In case you proceed with the wrong transaction, simply tap the Reverse Transaction button in the app’s confirmation details. If you happen to have closed the app, you’ll have to go back to the SMS method we went through first in this post.
Reversal Time Limit
It is important to remember that a reversal request takes about 2 hours from the time of request once initiated by the sender. However, that limit doesn’t apply to the recipient of the wrong transaction for they are in a position to start the reversal at any given time.
What Happens If Wrong M-PESA Recipient Has a Fuliza Balance?
Unfortunately, the money will be consumed and reversal won’t be possible. The same would happen if the person decides to use or withdraw the money. You’ll have to come to a personal arrangement with them which means you’ll be at their mercy.
Always confirm your transaction using the Hakikisha feature to avoid this awkward situation. If you own a smartphone, you can download either the M-PESA app or MySafaricom. The chances of making an error on the apps are low.